Where is my home? (off-topic)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Where is my home? (off-topic)
  • From: Croftway@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 02:53:28 -0700 (MST)

In a message dated 24/02/97  22:30:37, Amy translates:

<< Translating from the British:  the American "first floor" is typically
 the ground floor, and the British "first floor" is typically the floor
 above the ground floor, or what we would call "second floor" -- of
 course, all weird designations of floors based on buildings with parking
 garages and built on sloping sites are up for grabs.  An American would
 have a ground-level "patio" or "porch" on the first floor. >>

Thanks for pointing out that we are two peoples divided by a common language!
To make things perfectly clear, our building has two floors. The lower floor
comprises a row of six shops (really handy!!) and the upper floor comprises
three flats - Kate and I live in one of these flats (or "apartments"). These
shops are just about the only one's in my village (apart from the pub and the
post office) so you can imagine how big Walberton village is!!
My "balcony" is actually the roof of the storerooms on the back of the shops,
and measures about 35 feet by 12 feet (very big by UK standards).

Hope this makes things clear!

Graham Spencer
Croftway Nursery, Barnham, West Sussex, UK
USDA zone 8