Re: bloom season

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Barbara Mann wrote:

> A few days back, Walter asked if any of us who grow SDBs have them grow at
> registered height.  Well, yes.  I find that if they don't get too much warmth
> early on followed by the usual spring freezes, they will get to the proper
> height.  The ones in my extremely exposed main beds and the ones in tree wells
> usually do well.  It's the ones in the protected south-facing bed that often
> bloom down in the foliage, undoubtedly due to overeager stalks getting
> frozen--I also have trouble with the TBs and arilbreds I mistakenly put in
> that bed, so they are obviously going to have to be moved.  This year (oh,
> okay, okay!).
>
> Barb, in Santa Fe, where a discouraging word is being heard on this cold windy
> night.  IrisMaven@msn.com

	At the meeting in TN Ron Mullin said that the early SDB's in OK
bloom down in the fan, but the later ones usually at registered height.
But here and in Ft. Worth, they bloom down in the fan or at fan level,
never above the foliage.  We can get mighty cold here, but I guess it is
the duration of coldness that is the factor.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS