SPRING!!!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: SPRING!!!
  • From: plb123@psu.edu (Paul and Heather Bruhn)
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 06:34:46 -0700 (MST)

>Margaret Booth
>Nebraska Zone 5
>Four inches of snow yesterday

I don't know about anybody else, but seeing this at the end of Margaret's
note made me feel better about Pennsylvania weather--it's cold, no denying
it, but it's sunny and tomorrow is supposed to be in the 40s!  (For those of
you with yucky weather, I'll try not to rub it in--usually we get the yucky
weather too.)

I got really mad at Mother Nature for tantalizing us with beautiful 60
degree weather last week and then letting us down just in time for the
weekend.  However,
 I HAVE SEEN THE FIRST SNOWDROP OF SPRING!
 Here in town, on the Penn State campus, is a tiny little park planted with
lots of lovely flowers of varieties atypical of most campus gardens.
There's a hardy little clump of snowdrops in there that has to be my
favorite plant because it's my little herald of Spring.  Last year, when the
snowdrop bloomed, my I. reticulatas weren't far behind, and within a few
weeks I had daffodils.  So when the snowdrop peeked up through the snow last
week and finally bloomed yesterday, I knew Spring wasn't far behind.

In Pennsylvania we need these signs--last year our Spring wasn't until late
April/early May!

Heather Bruhn.

ps--you know I'll be buying snowdrop bulbs this Fall, don't you?