Re: welcome/ what's in Heather's garden?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: welcome/ what's in Heather's garden?
  • From: plb123@psu.edu (Paul and Heather Bruhn)
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 08:43:58 -0700 (MST)

>Welcome Paul and Heather,
>     I think that you will like the Iris-L.  What kind of Beardless Irises
>do you grow.  I grow both Bearded and Beardless Irises.  Beardless Irises
>are not overly popular here, but they are getting more recognition.  Let me
>know what type of Irises you are interested in having, I might be able to
>Mark A. Cook
>Lexington, KY  USA   Zone 5/6
Mark, sorry I took so long to get back to you--I've been overwhelmed by all
this great email!  My husband doesn't even ask anymore if it's for him.
Anything you want to send my way would be FANTASTIC!!!

So what's growing in my garden?  I've got the following beardless iris:
Siberians  "Butter and Sugar",  "Caeser's Brother", "Frosty Rim", "Lady
Vanessa",  "Pink Haze",  "Silver Edge", "Steve Varner", Wiesemotte,
"Wisserzweig", "Lavender Bounty " (at least I think it is...bought it as
such from George Bush but it looks darker than the photo in the book
Siberian Irises) and "Dreaming Yellow".  I also have Japanese: I. ensata, I.
ensata variegata,  "Rose Queen" (might be a species),  "Caprician
Butterfly", "Nikko", "Michio" and  "Henry's White".  I have one Louisiana:
"Black Gamecock" and one spuria, I. graminea.  I also have a clump of I.
versicolor and some I. pseudacorus and these variations of pseudacorus:
"Kimboshi" (ensata cross) and "Bastardii".  I'll be getting more Japanese
from my husband for my birthday.

So that's it for my beardless iris.  I also have lots of bearded iris, but
unfortunately I know the name of only one--I. pallida variegata (a
troublesome thing that I keep rescuing from soft rot).  I have a pile of
reticulatas too that have just begun to poke up.

If anybody wants to help add to my collection, I can definately trade I.
pseudacorus and "Black Gamecock" and I can also probably spare some I.
ensata and some of my nameless bearded irises (I think some are quite
old...I want to ID them someday).

Paul L. Bruhn            plb123@psu.edu            Heather McCune Bruhn
Pennsylvania, zone 5 (almost zone 6 but not quite!)
If you have multiple copies of this message, blame the mailserver here at
Penn State!