Selling flowers (was Transplanting ?)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Selling flowers (was Transplanting ?)
  • From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:17:38 -0700 (MST)

	Robert F. asked:

>> 2. Do you need a nursery license to sell cut iris flowers ?

 	John Jones replied:

>Probably a business license of some sort, but it varies city to city,
>state to state. Check with your local government.

	In my small town, if it is against the 'law' to sell cut flowers
	or fresh vegs. in one's own front yard (with a sign,etc) - a lot
	of people are outlaws including me. :-)) This area has yard sales
	galore and selling one's 'growables' falls into the same barrel. We
	sell vegs. in August only because our friends and neighbors can
	only eat so many tomatoes and zucchini.

	 I would never sell my iris but people have stopped when I have
	  been working in the front garden and asked for fresh flowers.
	People have paid more money for six cut peonies than I paid for
	the tuber. I am toying with the idea of marketing peonies since
	they are the ones people are struck with in the garden. It can
	pay for my 'iris habit'. :-)

	 However, to have a 'spot' in the village to market flowers and
	vegs. probably needs a permit of sort - even in New Hampshire.

	Ellen Gallagher  	 e_galla@moose.ncia.net

Ellen Gallagher	\ e_galla@moose.ncia.net \ Lancaster, New Hampshire,USA
		USDA Zone 3a \ Northern White Mountains