Paul and Heather Bruhn wrote:

>  Here in town, on the Penn State campus, is a tiny little park planted with
> lots of lovely flowers of varieties atypical of most campus gardens.
> There's a hardy little clump of snowdrops in there that has to be my
> favorite plant because it's my little herald of Spring.  Last year, when the
> snowdrop bloomed, my I. reticulatas weren't far behind, and within a few
> weeks I had daffodils.  So when the snowdrop peeked up through the snow last
> week and finally bloomed yesterday, I knew Spring wasn't far behind.
> In Pennsylvania we need these signs--last year our Spring wasn't until late
> April/early May!
> Heather Bruhn.

> ps--you know I'll be buying snowdrop bulbs this Fall, don't you?

Here our spring harbingers are the daffofils followed by the snowdrops
and then the reticulatas.  Yes, the snowdrops are a wonderful plant
producing more and more stems each year.  McClure & Zimmerman is
offering a Leucojum (snowdrop) called "Gravetye Giant" which bears up to
9 flowers per stem.  The typical variety bears 2 to 5.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California--where the temp is supposed to be in the high 60's
today and sunny.
zone 8