Re: Snowdrops/Snowflakes

Greetings:

<<  McClure & Zimmerman is  offering a Leucojum (snowdrop) called "Gravetye
Giant" which bears up to 9 flowers per stem.  The typical variety bears 2 to
5. >>

Gravetye Giant is a Summer Snowflake, Leucojum aestivum, and they are
wonderful and bloom here in April, but my guess is that Snowdrops is usually
understood to mean Galanthus. I can recommend especially Galanthus elwesii,
the Giant Snowdrop, which has been in bloom in my garden since late December.
In fact, one bloom lasted from December 30 to February 17. Very simple pure
form and lovely grey-green foliage. About twice the size of the usual
Snowdrop. McClure & Z
catalog, p. 25.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, Va
Henry Hall  henryanner@aol.com