Re: fear of freeze

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: fear of freeze
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 12:21:59 -0700 (MST)

>David Lovegrove
>Atlanta, Georgia; 60 degrees and bright sunshine means rapid, gorgeous
>growth and a deep fear that a solid freeze is on the way in the next month
>or so.

Ditto here in Little Rock. Last spring's late freeze silenced my early TBs,
and some of the later ones were stunted. Hey, expert people. Is there any
point in covering the rhizomes with a tarp the way we cover, say,
hydrangeas, to protect from late freezes?

Situation 1) Suppose it's been in the 70s for two weeks and then we get two
days of 20-degree lows. Sudden cold, no precip.

Situation 2) Suppose it's been in the 70s for two weeks and we get an ice
storm that lingers on the ground three days. Sudden cold with precip.

Will cover save the bloom?

celia
storey@aristotle.net USDA Zone 7b
Little Rock, Arkansas