Re: Bad form (was "Colonies" vs. "Little England")

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Bad form (was "Colonies" vs. "Little England")
  • From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 12:51:53 -0700 (MST)

	Bill Shear wrote:

>One of the great dangers presently is of TB iris becoming only collector's
>items, rather than plants the "ordinary" gardener would want.

	Just when I was going to rethink my TB 'position'....I am certainly
	an 'ordinary gardener'...uhm.

>To some extent, I think this is built in to the TB gene pool.  My
>impression is that the TB species are mostly what we would consider "late
>pioneer" species ecologically, that are invaders of somewhat disturbed
>habitats (hence their need to be divided  and reset frequently in gardens).
>They may generally disappear from mature environments like a closed-canopy
>deciduous forest.  Hence they do not respond well in gardens to crowding
>(pioneers are not good competitors in a crowded environment) and rapidly
>decline if they are not dug and reset every few years (the equivalent of
>entering a new disturbed environment).  All ths is perfectly speculative of
>course since I have no real data on the ecology of the species!

	When is your book being published again? This sounds so interes-

	Ellen Gallagher     e_galla@moose.ncia.net

	Ellen Gallagher				"The smell of freshly dug
	e_galla@moose.ncia.net			earth is perfume to the
	Lancaster, New Hampshire, USA		gardener."
	USDA Zone 3