Re: fear of freeze

>Situation 1) Suppose it's been in the 70s for two weeks and then we get two
>days of 20-degree lows. Sudden cold, no precip.
>Situation 2) Suppose it's been in the 70s for two weeks and we get an ice
>storm that lingers on the ground three days. Sudden cold with precip.
>Will cover save the bloom?
>storey@aristotle.net USDA Zone 7b
>Little Rock, Arkansas

Yes, indeed it will.  Cover with a double blanket of Reemay plant bed cover
but be sure and take it off again as soon as temps get close to freezing at
night.  A single cover will do if temps are in the mid-20s.  I never tried to
protect anything below 20 - usually it doesn't drop that low this late.  A
good coat of ice or snow on the rhizomes will insulate them well.  Of course,
if the ice is on top of Reemay, it will insulate even better.  Later in the
season, once the bud stalks have started to show, I was never able to protect
them - only while still inside the lower leaves or rhizome.  So I was
successful here in March, but not April - however freezes in the low 20s are
pretty unusual that late here, and freezes in the upper 20s didn't seem to do
as much damage as those March freezes.

This is only necessary for early or mid season bloomers - the late ones will
be ok without protection.

you are in a slightly colder zone than I am - don't know if that matters.