Re: Simazine

In a message dated 25/02/97  21:50:20, Walter says:

<< 	Graham and others, the active ingredient in Princep 80
 (pre-emerigent) is simazine.  Please don't tell me that it kills gardeners
 and everything that creepeth!

Oh, dear. Bad news. (you knew I'd come up with something!)
Simazine is still in use over here at the moment, but the whole triazine
group of chemicals (including simazine and atrazine) are under threat at the
moment because idiots like British Rail and the Department of Transport have
been spraying it all over the place. The consequence? - restricted use
already (now only permitted over crops and not on field margins and paths)
and likely to be withdrawn entirely unless everyone cleans up their act. The
reason - it is getting into ground water in a big way. It does have some
proven health effects, but I can't remember what they are - the main concern
is that an active herbicide is spreading through ground water and rivers, and
that is obviously going to effect native plants.
Having said all that, simazine is safe if used in accordance with the
manufacturers guidelines. We use it here.

Graham Spencer
Croftway Nursery, Barnham, Sussex, UK
USDA zone 8