Re: mulch

Actually, I mulch my iris even though it is against the common wisdom. I
have heard repeatedly that mulching causes rot but I live in a climate
where we get virtually no rain between april and october so I mulch in
early spring keeping the mulch off the iris rhizomes and letting it cover
them during the summer. The mulch builds up the soil and keeps the soil
helps keep back the weeds.  I don't mulch over the winter months because we
get so much rain that the rhizomes would rot for sure (60" this year)

Karin Hinsen
Central Coast of California
Mild, dry summers, Mild, wet winters
USDA Zone 8  Zone15-16 Western Garden