Re: Blyth irises (was Re: CHOCOLATE VANILLA

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Blyth irises (was Re: CHOCOLATE VANILLA
  • From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 09:42:44 -0700 (MST)

>>Several of Barry Blyth's seem to succumb over the winter. And,
>>others are antsy to get started growing before winter is over and
>>sometimes get zapped by the cold in March.  Does he live in a freeze-free
>>area of Australia, and could his location-climate be the opposite of mine,
>>hence the problem I have with tenderness in his irises?  I love the wild
>>colorations he produces.

	If you like his wild colorations, go to Ensminger or Kasperek...
	maybe Ensminger in Nebraska....

	When I was looking over Lowell's list (what I have so far), I just
	crossed out the Blyth irises...that would be the kiss of death for
	me with my frigid climate.

	My problem is I don't know some of these hybridizers like Dorrance
	and Sutton, etc. Where are they from anyway? I already have one of
	Bartlett's BB ORIONCO GOLD that Lowell sent me as an 'extra' in '96.
	That won the British Dykes Medal and it is $8 this year, what was
	it last year??? I am not ordering anything until I see what happened
	under the snow when I remove the pine needles and the layer of top
	soil on the rhizomes.

	They are probably rotten to the core....:-((

	Amazingly, Lowell's list is very different from last years. For
	instance, I ordered SMITTEN KITTEN and HOT FUDGE (both IBs) and
	both are absent from his new list. Not that I want more of them,
	just an observation. Also, every single one of the SDBs and MDBs
	I ordered last year are missing as well. Even ATROVIOLACEA (1846
	Todero - I. pumila hybrid) that I *wanted* more of for my hybri-
	dizing scheme. I also wanted more of DITTO, LITTLE BLACKSMITH,
	CINNAMON APPLES (Caperne-Welch Medal '96)...all MDBs. :-((

	Where is Monty Byers from? I think I'll order THORNBIRD.

	I am waiting with baited breath (what does that mean anyway ? )
	for the tons of '97 catalogs I ordered. I have to make a special
	'section' so I don't get the old ones mixed up with the new ones.

	I want to thank you for the listing of catalogs again...it has
	become my bible..all printed out and notes all over it, etc.

	Donald Mosser is using it, too.

	What did you mean that this was the "worst Regional Meeting in
	30 years"......Dorothy is a little shy and was probably wishing
	she had stayed in New York when she had to speak.