New look

Feb 02/25/97 06:19, CEMahan@aol.com wrote:
> In my experience, the primary emphasis of most British iris growers is upon
> the good garden qualities of the cultivar.  They tend to prefer irises that
> are good landscaping plants, with a bud count of more than 7, well branched,
> firm stalks that do not fall or lean, flowers that are durable in adverse
> weather, and plants that are resist rot and other disease.  From an aesthetic
> standpoint, they tend to prefer irises that resemble the classic
> representation of an iris.  But the garden qualities are paramount, and I
> personally agree with those preferences.

Hello everyone!
Here Juri from Moscow, Russia.

I was glad to see so active exchange of views on garden qualities of irises.
It is especially important for my condition. I try to find an analogy of Moscow
climate. We are in latitude 56o North. It is in 400 miles to North of Winnipeg,
somewere in bogs of Manitoba, not far of Hudson Bay.
Are there any irisarians, or only bears ?    (-:
Here are (irises, not bears).
Unlike British growers I prefer "grossly expanded flower parts, ruffles, lace",
but with good garden qualities as necessity.
Every year I see good showy flowers of MASTER TOUCH, but not once good flower
of EDITH WOLFORD. I can only envy California residents.
But one can find anythings in America:
Last year I got to know work of Jim and Vicky Craig with I.aphylla.
Although they are other goal, their TB derivatives are very steady. Even the
varieties with small quantities of aphylla's blood, such as Hager's FRINGE
BENEFITS and GOOD SHOW, are highly vigorous.

Juri Pirogov
P.O.box 15,Moscow 119121, Russia
18oF freezes at late may. TB flower june 5-25.