Re: New look

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: New look
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 19:43:19 -0700 (MST)

Juri in Moscow writes (26 Feb 97):

> I was glad to see so active exchange of views on garden qualities of
irises.
> It is especially important for my condition. I try to find an analogy of
Moscow
> climate

The Internet map of plant zones for Europe doesn't extend further east than
the vicinity of the Baltic States and Poland, but it looks like Minsk is in
Zone 5. How does the climate in Moscow compare to Minsk? I expect that
Northern New England and parts of the Upper Great Lakes region and Eastern
Canada would be the most comparable areas climatically.

. We are in latitude 56o North. It is in 400 miles to North of Winnipeg,
> somewere in bogs of Manitoba, not far of Hudson Bay.
> Are there any irisarians, or only bears ?    (-:
> Here are (irises, not bears).

Our Canadian friends will need to confirm this, but 400 miles north of
Winnipeg I think the only irises to be found would be one or two very hardy
wild species.

> Unlike British growers I prefer "grossly expanded flower parts, ruffles,
lace",
> but with good garden qualities as necessity.
> Every year I see good showy flowers of MASTER TOUCH, but not once good
flower
> of EDITH WOLFORD. I can only envy California residents.

A lot of us in North America envy the iris growers in California, but they
tell us that even California is not iris heaven. However, some of them also
tell us that their TB iris are already in bloom, while ours are still
covered by snow.

> 18oF freezes at late may. TB flower june 5-25.

How do you get any bloom at all if it gets this cold in May? The one year
we had a 20F frost on April 30 here we lost 75% of our TB bloom (normal TB
bloom here occurs about June 1 to June 20)

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
cwalters@cache.net
"This is the Place" - It warmed up enough (30F) to snow today (<1")