Re: Herbicides That Are Safe for Iris Beds

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Herbicides That Are Safe for Iris Beds
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 00:41:15 -0700 (MST)

Albert F. Limberg wrote:
> Our beds are infested with grasses that I am forever trying to keep out of the beds.
> What herbicides are safe for use in iris beds and can be purchased in California.

I have the perfect herbicide for you--POAST.  I and others I know have
used it for killing grass in iris beds.  It can be sprayed right over
the iris with no ill effects at all, and it kills most type of grasses,
but will not touch broadleaf weeds.

However, it is a SLOW killer, especially in our cooler periods.  It
eventually will kill the grasses, but be patient--it does work!  We have
even been successful with it on killing bermuda grasses!!

And I've even seen it over the counter for use by the home
gardener--here in California, you might try the HomeBase or Home Depot
stores, I think I've seen it there.

Good luck in finding it, shouldn't be too hard.  Let me know if I can be
of any further help to you in your search.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California foothills--Zone 8--rain expected this week-end, but
February has been dry so we could use the rain now.  Only 0.30" of rain
in February after a very wet Jaunary (almost 9 inches).