Re: what is I. biglumis?

In a message dated 27/02/97  03:03:32, Jeff says

<< In "Iris of China" James Waddick indicates that I. lactea is of easy
 culture in any soil, hardy to zone 3 with no special requirements. Grow in
 full sun in a soil that is not waterlogged. >>

Iris lactea is one of the most beautiful and graceful of all irises - it is
my absolute favourite (apart from all the others that I say are my favourite
- hmm...someone cautioned against absolutes last week!).
Mathew says that the leaves of this plant (which are very tough) are used in
some areas for fodder or even making a strong string or rough cloth. He goes
on to say that its deep roots make it resistant to harsh environments,
including salt in water!

Graham Spencer
Croftway Nursery, Barnham, West Sussex, UK
USDA zone 8
croftway@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/croftway/