Re: Herbicides That Are Safe for Iris Beds

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Herbicides That Are Safe for Iris Beds
  • From: Gf7443@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 05:32:44 -0700 (MST)

Regarding herbicides safe for Iris:

Dave Niswonger recommended a product called "Poast" to me some time ago.  It
is difficult to find, too, and sometimes has to be specially ordered.  A real
garden shop can do this.....as opposed to a garden section in a hardware or
discount store.  The product may be as expensive as $40.00 per pint, but the
mix is a tablespoon or two to a gallon, and it goes a long way.

Dave insisted this product was safe, and I have used it.  It doesn't hurt the
iris a bit, and gets rid of most grasses.  It leaves the broad leaf weeds
alone though.   Whether it is a nasty substance in the water supply, or
poisons the  bunnies or something, I will leave to the experts.  All I am
able to relate is that it gets rid of the grass and doesn't hurt the iris.

I hope that helps you.

Gloria Fairhead, Annapolis, Zone 7.