African Iris-Again

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: African Iris-Again
  • From: N8KXP@AOL.COM
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 09:38:55 -0700 (MST)

Some 2-3 weeks ago, I posted a request for information on the list pertaining
to a small, white flower sold here in Florida as an "African Iris".  I was
asking that those who frequent the list give me suggestions as to what the
flower might be.  Received several ideas one of which was dietes.  Have now
definitely identified the flower as "dietes vegata" and have two growing in
my beds.  Would like any more information members have on this flower.  Is it
really an iris?  Some literature I've seen "suggests" that it might not be a
true iris. Does anyone know if it is found in colors other than white?  I
have determined that it is an evergreen, is drought resistant and does well
in southern states only.

Harry Wolford
Reynoldsburg, OH

(Transplanted to Palm Bay, Fla. until April)