Welcome Juri!

Hi Juri, welcome to the list.  I am an new member myself.  I live near
Edmonton, Alberta which is farther north than Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Although we have many boggy spots around here (leftovers from the last
glacier!)we don't have too many problems gardening.  We have a very good
topsoil over a very thick layer of pure clay that was set down by the
last glaciers.  In newer developments they scrape off the topsoil down
to the clay layer and then "replace" the topsoil.  I do hit this clay
layer quite often while gardening but simply dig out an area and replace
it with good soil.  Water tends to pool in the early spring.  We also
have a cold spell in May - thats when the last snowfall occurs.  This is
usually after 2-3 weeks of pretty nice weather - trees in leaf, flowers
beginning to bloom, etc. Only the unwary or the risk takers dare to
plant their annuals before the May 20th holiday - no matter how nice its
 been!  This snow only lasts about 3-7 days and provides a nice watering
for the garden.  My favourite Tall-bearded iris is Ladyfriend which I
have had for 2 years.  Last year, it was covered in bloom after bloom -
absolutely magnificent. I have tried Edith Wolford twice - each year, it
totally disappears in spring.  My mother has also tried it - same
result.  But I have learned!  I am very interested in what varieties do
well for you.

Gianna Einarson
Sherwood Park, Alberta (zone 3a Canadian, zone 4 US)- still snowing!
@tpau.telusplanet.net (Tpau is one of my Siamese cats!)