I can certainly understand your difficulties! Why, when my husband and I
were in the UK last summer, we had to get someone to explain the menu at the
pub! As the quote "two countries divided by a common language"....

For pesticides/herbicides there is help. Check out the Extension Toxicology
page at http://ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet. It gave the active ingredient for
Poast as SETHOXYDIM and the common trade names as Aljaden, Alloxol S, BAS 9052,
Checkmate, Expand, Fervinal, Grasidim, Nabu, NP-55, Poast, Tritex-Extra and

This is a wonderful and very useful site. I recommend that you bookmark it.
I use it a lot. Now if someone would do something like this for the Latin
binomials and common names for plants...

Beth Matney <bmatney@mail.snider.net>
USDA zone 7b