Re: gardens in UK, March

I don't know what it would be like in March (probably cold!) but the Royal
Botanical Garden in Edinburgh is on my list as one of the  finest, if not
THE finest, botanical gardens in Europe.  I visited Kew (very easy access
by short train ride from London) last April and found much to see and enjoy
in and around the alpine houses and bulb frames--a number of junos,
reticulatas and arils.  Again, this would have been about a month later
than your planned visit.  At Kew, don't miss the evolution house, where
plant communities from 400 million years ago to the present have been

Also the UK is awash in many worthwhile private gardens and national trust
properties that I will trust Graham to tell you about!

Best wishes, Bill
William A. Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College