Re: African Iris-Again

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: African Iris-Again
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 10:22:33 -0700 (MST)

N8KXP@aol.com wrote:

> Some 2-3 weeks ago, I posted a request for information on the list pertaining
> to a small, white flower sold here in Florida as an "African Iris".  I was
> asking that those who frequent the list give me suggestions as to what the
> flower might be.  Received several ideas one of which was dietes.  Have now
> definitely identified the flower as "dietes vegata" and have two growing in
> my beds.  Would like any more information members have on this flower.  Is it
> really an iris?  Some literature I've seen "suggests" that it might not be a
> true iris. Does anyone know if it is found in colors other than white?  I
> have determined that it is an evergreen, is drought resistant and does well
> in southern states only.
>
> Harry Wolford
> Reynoldsburg, OH
>
> (Transplanted to Palm Bay, Fla. until April)

Harry,

My book, Bulbs by James Underwood Crockett, refers to this plant as
Morea Bicolor but later in the description mentions that it is also
called Dietes Vegeta.  This book is from the 70's so the names may have
changed.  Anyway the book mentions four "species" M. Bicolor, M.
Glaucopis, M. Pavonia and M. iridioides and varieties of the
aforementioned.  The book also shows a beautiful color photo of Morea
pavonia "magnifica" and if you can accept color photos on your e-mail I
can send it..or..if enough members want to see it I could put it on the
cork board.  BTW, SIGNA has seeds of a number of Moreas and perhaps you
still have time to order.  Maybe Kathy Marble would let you know? Kathy.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California
Zone 8