RE: Selling flowers (was Transplanting ?)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: Selling flowers (was Transplanting ?)
  • From: "Barbara Mann" <IrisMaven@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 12:57:46 -0700 (MST)

Nicki--I know some people here sell blooming iris in pots (particularly the
manager of the garden shop at Jackalope, a local shop-of-all-trades).  Here
the danger is of freezing, and of the rhizomes getting freeze-dried.  So
Michael buries his potted iris to the rims in soil, and enough of them make it
through the winter to make it worth the gamble.  I think you would probably
need to make some kind of provision for drainage (maybe on a sand bed over a
French drain?), but you should be able to do it.   Good luck!

Barb, in Santa Fe, wishing all this cold dismal windiness would just quit (and
my snow is pretty well sublimed again).    IrisMaven@msn.com