POAST and other herbicides

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: POAST and other herbicides
  • From: "Barbara Mann" <IrisMaven@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 12:59:07 -0700 (MST)

"Celia wrote:My solution is to pull what you can through the growing season
without
ripping up iris roots as well. At ordinary transplant time, completely redo
your bed. Take out all the irises and while they're bleaching, drying and
resting, dig out all the grass. Use a shovel and get out the roots. Unless
you have an unmanageably large bed, manual removal of new sprigs as they
sprout should be feasible from there on."

That's pretty much my approach, too, though I can never quite stay ahead of
all the grass, so after 3 or 4 years that grass is a real incentive to redo
those beds (I rotate through my beds on a 3 to 4-year schedule anyway).

Barb, in Santa Fe, where some of the grass is starting to grow already, and
I'm NOT READY YET.