Re: New look

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: New look
  • From: Ohpncnb ^phi <jukp@extranet.ru>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 12:09:18 -0700 (MST)

Feb 02/26/97 18:43, cwalters@cache.net wrote:

> The Internet map of plant zones for Europe doesn't extend further east than
> the vicinity of the Baltic States and Poland, but it looks like Minsk is in
> Zone 5. How does the climate in Moscow compare to Minsk?

I want add some words:
Moscow climate is temperate-continental. Annual amplitude of average monthly
temperature is for Moscow 51F (Paris 29F, Berlin 34F, Warsowie 40F).
Annual average temperature 39F, abs. maximum 99F, abs. minimum -44F.
In Baltic state's gardens you may find peachtree. It's impossible in Moscow.

> > 18oF freezes at late may. TB flower june 5-25.
>
> How do you get any bloom at all if it gets this cold in May? The one year
> we had a 20F frost on April 30 here we lost 75% of our TB bloom (normal TB
> bloom here occurs about June 1 to June 20)

Certanly, writing 'freezes' I meant night frosts. But this problem give
much more trouble, than any winter frost.
Late May frosts happen regularly when stalks begin appear, and often kill
them. It's a problem and for gardener: if they have no patience wait June
to plant tomatoes, they often lose them.
June 5 to June 25 - it is usual dates of Moscow Iris Show. But microclimate
of my own garden is such, what irises begin bloom one-two week later, than
in my colleague's gardens.
Juri Pirogov
jukp@extranet.ru
P.O.box 15,Moscow 119121, Russia
18oF freezes at late may. TB flower june 5-25.