Herbacides safe for humans

I recently ran across a web site, EXTOXNET, with some very practical
information on the toxicities of pesticides.  This includes toxicity
to other species and environmental persistence data.  This site can
be searched by brand name and also lists alternate brand names:

To see the entry on Poast (sethoxydim):

<on soapbox>

I would echo calls for us amateurs to leave the chemicals to the pros
and also would ask that they be very judicious in their use.  I In
line with Celia, IMO when the grass gets too bad it's time to redo
the bed anyway.

I know Walter was grinning when said:
>I always do....look like a spaceman when I am spraying!

BUT, any chemical that you feel like you must dress up like a
spaceman for is not a *safe* chemical.  Dressing up helps, of course,
but perhaps not as much as you would expect, and most of us don't have
access to proper PPE (personal protective equipment) for handling
toxic chemicals.  Please be mindful with your use, storage and
disposal of all garden chemicals.

<off soapbox>

Wondering what it will take, short of a cattle prod,  to get my 13
year old off the couch and into the garden.

Rodney A. Barton
Assistant Safety Officer
Chemical Hygiene Officer
Assistant Radiation Safety Officer
University of North Texas Health Science Center
3500 Camp Bowie Blvd.
Fort Worth, Texas 76107