Re: gardens in UK, March

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: gardens in UK, March
  • From: plb123@psu.edu (Paul and Heather Bruhn)
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 12:07:16 -0700 (MST)

If you have a chance, spend some time in either Winchester or Salisbury.
Both are a convenient and inexpensive train ride (be sure to take express,
not local!) from London.  When I was living in Winchester (Spring 1992) I
took lots of walks around the old part of town and out into the country.  In
Winchester, close to the old Cathedral walls and beside the river are some
lovely private gardens!  One home near the river had an entire hillside of
tulips and daffodils to enjoy!  There are some great places around to take
walks near Winchester, for instance near the old St. Cross alms hospital and
St. Catherine's Hill (an old Iron Age hill fortification).  Salisbury is an
equally lovely town with some great areas for walks.  And don't forget
trying to go west into Cornwall--you may even see palm trees!  (Believe it
or not, there's a park in Falmouth with lots of palm trees that are planted
right next to some of the biggest rhododendrons you've ever seen).   The
only trouble with Cornwall is the slow trains: almost all of them are
locals.  You might consider staying for a few days in Cornwall to relax and
check out the country (great tide pools in Falmouth, too, only about 1/2
mile or less from Pendennis Castle).

Hope this gives you some ideas.  Writing this helped me recall all the
beautiful things I saw during my Spring in England.

Heather Bruhn

Paul L. Bruhn            plb123@psu.edu            Heather McCune Bruhn
Pennsylvania, zone 5 (almost zone 6 but not quite!)
If you have multiple copies of this message, blame the mailserver here at
Penn State!