Re: Coffee, Tea, and Iris (was: Iris in Russia)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Coffee, Tea, and Iris (was: Iris in Russia)
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:09:10 -0700 (MST)

> On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Nicki Shay wrote:
> > 	  I cannot wait  each year for the weather to warm up, pour
> > myself a cup of coffee, and head outside to sit on a little bench and
> > stare at each new flower that opens. They are almost mystical to me.  I
> > think they are lovlier than orchids.

And on 27 Feb 97, Kathy Marble replied:

> As soon as ALPINE LAKE shows buds, I'm out there every morning with my
> first cup of tea (which I share with Rose, the greenhouse cat, who loves
> tea and coffee) to see what's opening that day. Sometimes I like to sit
> between the beds when the TB's are in bloom, so the flowers are about eye
> level. The angle of the early sunshine, and any remaining dew make for a
> different world from that vantage point.

In his book on Japanese Iris, Currier McEwen explains how in former times
in parts of Japan iris were grown in pots in order that they might be
brought indoors at bloom time so one could contemplate the beauty of the
flower as it opened, but that as the pace of modern life has quickened,
this is seldom practiced any more.

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
"This is the Place" - where it might be nice for the pace of Spring to