Re: African Iris-Again

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: African Iris-Again
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:08:52 -0700 (MST)

> My book, Bulbs by James Underwood Crockett, refers to this plant as
> Morea Bicolor but later in the description mentions that it is also
> called Dietes Vegeta.  This book is from the 70's so the names may have
> changed.  Anyway the book mentions four "species" M. Bicolor, M.
> Glaucopis, M. Pavonia and M. iridioides and varieties of the
> aforementioned.  . . . . .(clip, clip)

The 1995 edition of the Sunset Western Garden Book gives Moraea iridioides
as a synonym for Dietes vegeta. No mention therein of other species of
Moraea, but there is a Dietes bicolor listed as "flowers light yellow, 2"
wide, with purple blotches". No color variations indicated for D. vegeta,
only a more robust variant labeled "Johnsonii", and hybrids (between
bicolor and vegeta?) with names like 'Lemon Drop' and 'Orange Drop',
described as creamy with blotches of the indicated colors.

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
"This is the Place" - snowed hard, but not long today - 2" on ground, none
on roads