Re: Insect control with spiders

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Insect control with spiders
  • From: bills@tiger.hsc.edu (Bill Shear)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 11:45:12 -0700 (MST)

Dana--let me suggest that instead of killing the spiders you capture them
and release them outside.  Simply pop a jar over the spider and slip a card
under it.  Then turn the whole thing upside down, carry it outside and dump
out the spider.

Once at a scientific meeting I heard a paper from a psychiatrist who had
treated a patient with an extreme spider phobia.  After many sessions, he
had traced the phobia to an early experience in which the patient's mother
had taken out her false teeth and chased him around the dining room table,
clattering them in her hand.

Seriously, such fears are not to be made light of but can be overcome if
reason is allowed to prevail!

Best wishes, Bill
William A. Shear
Department of Biology