Re: Edith Wolford

<< I dug up all that remained
 > of my EDITH WOLFORD - which languished here year after year, but never
 > expired - and took it to the local rhizome sale last year.
 >
 > Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
 > cwalters@cache.net

 SHAME on you Jeff for promulgating an unsatisfactory performer on the
 unsuspecting public!  It is my humble opinion that one should only dig and
 take to rhizome sales those things that are superior garden performers to
 lure in the admittedly naive and ignorant gardening public.

Sounds to me that Gary is pulling your leg a bit, Jeff.  After all, EDITH
WOLFORD does do quite well for some people apparently, or it could hardly
have been decorated so profusely with awards.  It also seems to me that
people are going to buy it regardless because it is high on the popularity
list and carried by several big nurseries---far better they buy it for a buck
or two at a local sale than spend anywhere from 5 to 10 bucks for it from a
large nursery.

I have already given my views on its performance for me in northern VA----but
given its spectacular stalks when it does perform, who knows? It could win
Queen of Show for someone here this year or next.  Even I could be tempted to
use is for breeding.  Overall, though,  I would not recommend it to someone
looking for a good performing garden iris in this part of the country.
  Clarence Mahan in VA