Re: Autosyndetica

Ian Black wrote:

:  Its main claim to
:  fame is that sometimes its flowers are yellow, sometimes blue, and sometimes
:  a mixture - "never twice the same colour" as the person I got it from said;
:  - she also added that "it's a good plant for annoying the hell out of
:  judges" (!).

:  The only other bit of information I have is that according to its
:  registration, its perpetrator was Simonet (1934).

:  Can anyone supply any further information about this plant?

AUTOSYNDETICA was the term Simonet coined for the synthetic species of fertile
amphidiploid hybrids he produced by crossing I. hoogiana and I. macrantha.  The
name was not approved by AIS to apply to a single cultivar.  (Perhaps one of our
resident historians will chime in here with more details.  Hint.  HINT!)  It was
the first race of fertile arilbreds, but was eclipsed by the more popular ones
developed by C.G. White.  Although somewhat less gardenable, the latter were
valued for their more onco-like flowers.

I don't know how variable any one clone might be, but there were reportedly
clones produced in a variety of patterns and colors.  Two are pictured in
Kohlein's book -- p. 242.  If what you' have is one of the original
AUTOSYNDETICA clones, it's a real collector's item.

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)