Re: Alfalfa Tea

lora l masche wrote:

> Hi Walter,
>
> I read with interest  your experience with alfalfa pellets.  I too tried
> the pellets and was not happy at all.  They seemed to just make a mess
> of my garden and did not brake down like I thought they would.
> They do make a alfalfa meal but expensive.   I decided to grind the
> pellets using my osterizer. It worked great but took about two hours
> using only l cup at a time.  If too many pellets are used , they get
> stuck in the blade and won't grind.
> The meal is so easy to use and works easily into the soil.  Then when the
> soil gets wet you don't have big clumps of pellets lying around the
> ground and on top of the irises.
>
> Lora

The secret to alfalfa pellets is 2 fold - A mixture of liquid fert. at
about 1/3-1/2 strength in a hose-end sprayer AND plenty of H2O to
complete the process.  Also do this after bloom when the weather is
warm.  If you do it in the mid to late autumn, the process slows down.
Within 2-3 days max the pellets have broken down to 'meal' powder form
and the smell (which I personally like) goes away.
Hope that helps.

Dennis - Roanoke Virginia zone 6-7 sorta