Re: Autosyndetica

Clarence Mahan wrote, of Autosyndetica:

:  And definitely a valuable iris for future breeding!

It's been many years since an autosyndetica hybrid has been registered, but
Clarence is right -- the field is wide open.    Most of the related recent
introductions have not been autosyndetica itself, but crosses between members of
the autosyndetica race and other arilbreds.  For example, Mathes' GELEE ROYALE
has an autosyndetica grandparent while Danielson's BLUE ARTS and WHITE ARTS have
an autosyndetica parent.  It seems to convey better branching and bud count, as
well as gardenability.  The infamous "Fleur de Puce" -- officially known as
THINGS TO COME -- is not a direct autosyndetica descendant  but could be
considered a distant cousin.

The following list illustrates the color combinations already attained.

BEN AHDEM  (Morris, R. 1951).  I. hoogiana X Benton Daphne. Rich lilac-blue

COLLECTOR'S PRIDE  ( Danielson, R. 1962).  E. Snow Flurry X I. hoogiana. White
self, yellow beard.

GOLDEN BUTTERFLY   (Austin, R. 1953).  Ola Kala X I. hoogiana. S light yellow; F
same with deep yellow hafts and white stripe down center.

HOOGIE BOY   (Muhlestein, R. 1948).  I. hoogiana X (Genevieve Serouge x
Salutation). Wisteria violet-blue, flushed gold.

HOOGSAN    ( Samuelson, R. 1947).  I. hoogiana X San Francisco. Medium blue

LITTLE LAKE  (Muhlestein, R. 1949).   I. hoogiana X Chivalry.  Medium blue self.

RAINIER VALLEY  (Crandall, R. 1954).   I. hoogiana X Shining Waters. Medium blue

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)
Southern New Mexico -- where TBs don't grow well enough to produce
first-generation autosyndetical hybrids