Re: Edith Wolford

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Edith Wolford
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 19:00:12 -0700 (MST)

Gary Sides writes (28 Feb 97):

> SHAME on you Jeff for promulgating an unsatisfactory performer on the
> unsuspecting public!  It is my humble opinion that one should only dig
> take to rhizome sales those things that are superior garden performers to
> lure in the admittedly naive and ignorant gardening public.

I have been placed in the dock, and so I must enter my plea.

You may have missed an earlier posting in which I observed that it is rare
indeed for iris growers in our area to reach consensus on the performance
of a TB cultivar. Each one seems to have its supporters and detractors.
Just because EDITH WOLFORD failed to perform to my satisfaction does NOT
mean that it would not do well for someone who might buy it at our Sale or
who might be satisfied with less robust performance than I demand of an
iris to which I am going to give an open-ended lease on my garden space.

I assure you that I do not take the iris that perform really dismally for
me to the local rhizome sale, for the reasons that you imply, i.e., it
would only discourage novice growers.

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)