Re: Deer protection

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Deer protection
  • From: Charley Kearns <kcf@gte.net>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 19:28:59 -0700 (MST)

Chad Schroter wrote:

> Charley,
>
> My parents (in Orinda near SF) have been coexisting with the deer
> somewhat for over 30 years when my mom decided enuf is enuf and had a   6 foot  metal fence installed around the property. Hey well now she     can grow roses for > the first time. The deer never bothered any of     our iris, but there were always > plenty of tastier things about.     Anyways my mom is convinced that the height of the fence is not nearly   as important as the width and also that deer will not readily jump   over anything if they cannot see the landing area. As such there
> are large shrubs and small trees planted along the fence on both     sides. It does > seem to work.
>
>         Chad in Los Gatos
>
>Chad,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have thought that a high fence may be the
only effective protection.  Wasn't sure how high is adequate.  Have also
heard that deer can jump high or wide but not both in one leap, so
plantings or some other secondary barrier next to the fence is probably
wise.

Also, Chad, I don't think I thanked you for your gopher advice.  I
really appreciate your experienced input.  You are becoming one of my
main resources.

Thanks again,

Charley Kearns
Los Gatos, CA (foothills)