Re: OT-BIO Andrew Wheeler + questions

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT-BIO Andrew Wheeler + questions
  • From: "Juri Pirogov" <jukp@aha.ru>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 13:11:00 -0700 (MST)

> Nr: Andrew Wheeler <awheele2@abacus.bates.edu>
> D`r`: 25 mb`p 1998 c. 21:43
> I also was wondering if
> anyone knows about the use of any of these mutagens (or any others) on
> iris. maleic hydrazide, methyl nitrosourea, sodium azide, azidoglycerol,
> 4-nitro-o-phenylenediamine.  I realize that simply using a mutagen is no
> substitute for hybridization, but I am interested to know what the result
> might be. Thank you, Andrew Wheeler.
Hi Andrew.
Large experiments with mutagens on iris were made in former USSR in the
middle eighties under the leadership of Peter Hattenberger. It was used
principally ethil nitrosourea (NEM), methil nitrosourea (NMM) and a bit of
diazoaminobensene (DAB) as well paraaminobenzoique acide as synergist. They
were used on seeds and rhizomes of Ii. sibirica, notha, halophila, lactea,
pallida, pumila and TBs at the next concentrations: 0.0125, 0.025, 0.05,
0.1, 0.2, 0.5% during 24-48 hours. 0,2-0,5% was too toxic. Seeds don't
germinate and rhizomes die. It wasn't marked differences on spurias.The
differences in colors was very slight. Marked differences was found on
rhizomes of siberians treated 0.025-0.05% NEM: there were flowers without
standarts and with six falls.  Differences in the stalks was found on
rhizomes of bearded treated the same method: pallida with candelabra stalk
and SDB from TB.
I enclose an answer of one person, Edmundas Kondratas, took part in that
"From beardles I had one with very small standards like those of I.setosa.
This plant have given spur rhizome with variegated leaves, but after some
years though good care it died-was to chlorotic. Beardeds gave no some
special, but some have shown good resistance, as I have left them without
any care. Last summer I dig out them from grassland and replanted. Hope to
see in future what they will show. This winter we had comparatively low
temperatures without good snow cover and resistance will be tested. Some
work with those seedlings I will do in future, but results will be only
after some years."

Juri Pirogov