Re: cult: seed soaking - floaters?

<< Does anyone know if you are supposed to wait until the floating
 seeds fall to the bottom when they are being washed (soaked)? Or
 can they just be soaked for a certain length of time and then
 continue on with the next step? >>

Depends what the seeds are. Some seeds will float practically forever.The old
wives' tale is that good seeds --iris or other wise--sink and bad
seeds--empty--float, but in the case of Iris that I have messed with I have
found that setosas float regardless, as do things with corky coverings, some
very small seeds, and some very light seeds. With most iris seeds, if I am
sowing them inside I soak them several days in several changes of water to
rehydrate them and leach out any of those so-called chemical germination
inhibitors that might be there. During that time most things will sink. I
remove most of the corky covering when it cracks, and most of the red pulp
from the foetidissimas. There is a theory that suggests that iris seeds that
float generally need light to germinate but not necessarily cold, so I don't
cover them when I sow them inside. Outside, I just put them in a pot and let
the forces of nature rule. Many procedures work.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond,VA
Henry Hall  henryanner@aol.com