Re: Iris Borers

 Anner -- I'm afraid I would lean toward the contact-toxicity rather than
 the systemic, based upon what I have experienced in my garden.

Griff, I respectfully disagree.

As you may guess... I have had at least one major iris borer tragedy and am
ever-vigilant.  I do rely on Cygon 2E for control and have enjoyed very good
results using the following system:

1.  Mix the Cygon according to label directions and take appropriate
precautions regarding skin exposure

2.  Using a large cylinder sprayer, we adjust the hose to allow for a fan
shaped spray - which is APPLIED ONLY IN A CIRCLE AROUND THE IRIS CLUMP... and
onto the rhizome.  We do not spray the leaves at all, but drench the soil
immediately surrounding the rhizome (the theory being that the plant will then
take up the chemical).

3.  First application occurs when tulips are showing first color.  2nd
application 10 days later.  3rd application 10 days later.

4.  That's all.

I long for the day when a control will be found for the moth itself.... but
until that time, this method works for us.

Kathy Guest
E. Aurora, NY