OT-The Borer's Curious New Plant Fixations

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT-The Borer's Curious New Plant Fixations
  • From: Henryanner@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 16:04:15 -0700 (MST)

<<  Kathy Guest... who just got back from the NARGS Winter Rendezvous in
Toronto  and has discovered two things:  1)  I really, really, really need to
learn all
 I can about arisemeas and grow as many as will survive here.... 2)  ditto for
 auriculas.   (: >>

Oh, so true! There is nothing like an adorable wierd plant. Check Tony Avent's
new on-line catalog for some truly endearing arisemas and other curiosities.

And as for auricula primroses, well, who couldn't love a little posey with a a
flour-like deposit on its rubbery leaves? The fanciers of old used to show
them on formal stages in things that looked like puppet theatres or corniced
bookshelves lined with black velvet. This is true. They were called Auricula
Theatres. Maybe they still do. This is one of the strangest plant things I
know about. Bigtime competition. Some plants with pea green petals. Very
choice, very wierd. All of them regrettably die like flies here in the summer.

By the way, the cheap seeds are in at Lowes'. I got some Balsam and some
Persian Carpet Zinnias last night at ten cents a pack. Picked up a little bush
of the China rose Anne-Marie De Montravel for six bucks. Which does not make
up for no auriculas, but isn't bad.

Anner Marie de Whitehead, Richmond,Va
Henry Hall  henryanner@aol.com