REF: THE WEATHER ALMANAC

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: REF: THE WEATHER ALMANAC
  • From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 19:19:04 -0700 (MST)

> Don,
> I don't think that growing conditions there are very close to Montana.
> Switzerland and Austria are in USDA zone 6, Belgium and Luxemburg are in
> zone 7-8
>
> Juri
> jukp@aha.ru

     The following information from the 1977 Edition of THE WEATHER ALMANAC
may help, even though it is 21 years old.  All temperatures are in
Fahrenheit.

Location        Avg. Jan         Avg. Apr           Avg. July
Avg. Oct.      Extremes

Austria            Hi   Lo           Hi     Lo           Hi      Lo
       Hi     Lo      Highest   Lowest
     Innsbruck   34  20           60     39           78     55
   58     40        97         -16
     Vienna       34  26           57     41           75 	   59
    55     44        98         -14

Belgium
     None given, see Amsterdam.

Luxembourg
   Luxembourg 36  29            58     40           74      55
 56    43           99         -10

Netherlands
    Amsterdam 40  34             52    43            69      59
  56     48          95         +3

Switzerland
     Bern         35   26            56    39             74      56
        55     42         96        -9
     Geneva     39    29           58    41             77      58
      58      44       101       -1
     Zurich       38    28           57    39             76      55
        57     42          98       -12

     I would figure that conditions in Belgium would be similar to those in
The Netherlands and Luxembourg.  Liechtenstein will be similar to Austria
and Switzerland climatically.  As one can see, this is very different from
Montana.  Since my information is 21 years old, the extremes given may have
since been exceeded.

Mark A. Cook
billc@atlantic.net
Dunnellon, FL.