Re: SPECX: 854 Ellis

william b. cook wrote:

> > I have been distributing an Iris labeled 854 Ellis, which originated
> > with Jack Ellis in England. It is a cross of I. pseudacorus and I.
> > versicolor. It has been introduced as Seuver Frumenty, and the
> > desciption given is: One branch, pale blue with fine veining that has
> > the appearance of solid color.  The form is  similar to I vers. and
> > there is a slight yellow underlay below the blue.
> >  If anyone out there has Ellis' 855, it has been registered as SEUVER
> > FOURSES, which is described as a darker violet, also with dense veining.
> Andrew,
>      These two Irises interest me.  Iris pseudacorus is known to do well in
> Florida.  This makes me wonder if one or both of these Irises would grow
> here.  I am very interested in the various types of Iris pseudacorus.  If
> anyone in the deep south has had experience growing these plants, or in a
> comparable climate overseas, I would like to hear how they do.
> Mark A. Cook
> billc@atlantic.net
> Dunnellon, FL.
 Kevin Vaughn, in the steamy delta in Miss., when last I knew grew I
pseudacorus, a 'white' pseud, phil edinger, roy davison, f2 orange
((((sorry Mark, it is f2,I miss typed previously)))) the three of which
are children/grandchildren of holden clough, which he also grows.
Perhaps there are more pseuds and pseud crosses that he grew, but all of
these that I remember did fairly well in a slightly sunken, slightly
shady portion of his back yard.
Andrew Wheeler.