Re: OT-BIO Andrew Wheeler + questions

Juri Pirogov wrote:
> ----------
> > Nr: Andrew Wheeler <awheele2@abacus.bates.edu>
> > D`r`: 25 mb`p 1998 c. 21:43
> >
> > I also was wondering if
> > anyone knows about the use of any of these mutagens (or any others) on
> > iris. maleic hydrazide, methyl nitrosourea, sodium azide, azidoglycerol,
> > 4-nitro-o-phenylenediamine.  I realize that simply using a mutagen is no
> > substitute for hybridization, but I am interested to know what the result
> > might be. Thank you, Andrew Wheeler.
> >
> Hi Andrew.
> Large experiments with mutagens on iris were made in former USSR in the
> middle eighties under the leadership of Peter Hattenberger. It was used
> principally ethil nitrosourea (NEM), methil nitrosourea (NMM) and a bit of
> diazoaminobensene (DAB) as well paraaminobenzoique acide as synergist. They
> were used on seeds and rhizomes of Ii. sibirica, notha, halophila, lactea,
> pallida, pumila and TBs at the next concentrations: 0.0125, 0.025, 0.05,
> 0.1, 0.2, 0.5% during 24-48 hours. 0,2-0,5% was too toxic. Seeds don't
> germinate and rhizomes die. It wasn't marked differences on spurias.The
> differences in colors was very slight. Marked differences was found on
> rhizomes of siberians treated 0.025-0.05% NEM: there were flowers without
> standarts and with six falls.  Differences in the stalks was found on
> rhizomes of bearded treated the same method: pallida with candelabra stalk
> and SDB from TB.
> I enclose an answer of one person, Edmundas Kondratas, took part in that
> experiments:
> "From beardles I had one with very small standards like those of I.setosa.
> This plant have given spur rhizome with variegated leaves, but after some
> years though good care it died-was to chlorotic. Beardeds gave no some
> special, but some have shown good resistance, as I have left them without
> any care. Last summer I dig out them from grassland and replanted. Hope to
> see in future what they will show. This winter we had comparatively low
> temperatures without good snow cover and resistance will be tested. Some
> work with those seedlings I will do in future, but results will be only
> after some years."
> Juri Pirogov
> jukp@aha.ru
Thank you very much for this most helpful information.  I am very
interested in the work that was done by Mr. Hattenberger and
Mr.Kondratas.  Could you provide me with the name of the journal in
which these studies were published? Even if only a porion of the
articles are in English, they would still be helpful to read.  I can
probably have the library here find publications from the former USSR. I
am interested in the method that they applied the mutagens with.  Were
the rhizomes bathed in it?  Were they injected with a syringe?  I find
this kind of thing fascinating and I would like to find out more, if it
is not to much trouble.
Thank you very much, Andrew Wheeler.