Re: SPECX: 854 Ellis

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPECX: 854 Ellis
  • From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 21:11:26 -0700 (MST)

>  Kevin Vaughn, in the steamy delta in Miss., when last I knew grew I
> pseudacorus, a 'white' pseud, phil edinger, roy davison, f2 orange
> ((((sorry Mark, it is f2,I miss typed previously)))) the three of which
> are children/grandchildren of holden clough, which he also grows.
> Perhaps there are more pseuds and pseud crosses that he grew, but all of
> these that I remember did fairly well in a slightly sunken, slightly
> shady portion of his back yard.
> Andrew Wheeler.

Andrew,
     If these plants were doing well in Louisiana's Mississippi Delta, they
would almost certainly grow here.  The Mississippi Delta is hotter in the
summer and has fewer winter freezes than this part of Florida.  Dunnellon
is located in a region of low, rolling hills.  The plants one can see
growing here is a mix of sub-tropicals (Palms, Cannas, Crape Myrtles,
Nandinas, Oleanders, African Iris, Camellias, Gingers, Lantanas, etc) and a
mix of plants you are familiar with, such as Redbuds, Saucer Magnolias
(both in bloom now), Dogwoods, Iris pseudacorus, hardy Verbenas, Fringe
Trees, Sweet Gums, Red Maples, etc.
     There have been several freezes this winter, with two nights dipping
into the 20's, with 25 F being the lowest.  There have been several more
light frosts that were not damaging.  For January, a normal day has a low
of 42 F and a high of 68 F.  This part of Florida is not only attracting
people from the north, it is also attracting people who wish to see
distinct seasons from southern Florida, which has little seasonal change.
I have been told that the lowest temperature recorded here was 11 F in
1983.  The highest was 98 F in August of 1997.

Mark A. Cook
billc@atlantic.net
Dunnellon, FL.