Other Iris Pests

In a message dated 98-01-31 15:55:28 EST, Andy writes:

<< It is iteresting that you mention the Iris weevil.  We have that as
 well in Massachusetts and I was wondering if anyone knows about their
 life cycle.  They are not so bad a pest as borers or orthachita (how
 exactly id that spelled?) since they do not affect vegatative growth or
 blooms, yet they are quite a pest for breeders, since they can evacuate
 a chamber of a seed pod or even all three, without showing significant
 damage.   >>

How about a small flying insect that eats beardless iris pollen?  I have had
this happen to me for two seasons and it is most distressing.  Sometimes they
leave me enough to sneak out a cross or two - but other times, they strip the
anthers.  Anyone have intelligence on what this is and how to get to the
pollen first?  They appear to do no other damage - and Cygon notwithstanding,
I do not wish to add more chemicals to my garden.

Kathyguest... of the shiny JI anthers