Re: CULT, REF: Iris Borers

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT, REF: Iris Borers
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 06:14:34 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, william b. cook wrote:

>      Recently, I made a posting saying that I thought the Iris Borer would
> be present in Texas and Kansas.  This posting was not based on any
> hard-core evidence, but was based on assuming that it would be there since
> it is found in neighboring states with similar conditions.
>      Since we have Iris List members in both Kansas and Texas, I am turning
> to them to clarify this matter.  Is the Iris Borer present in these two
> states?  If so, what parts?  If not, let us know that since that is
> valuable information too.
>      If I confused anyone, I am sorry, but I would like to find out more
> about the range of this insect pest.
>
> Mark A. Cook
> billc@atlantic.net
> Dunnellon, FL.

	Mark,

	I started growing irises in Fort Worth in the early 1960's and
joined the FWIS in about '65.  I never had an experience with a borer in
my garden, nor did I ever hear any member of the FWIS complain or inquire
of the pests.

	In 1986, I moved to MS and have never seen or 'heard tell' of a
borer in a MS garden.  I think it is too darn hot for the critters to
survive here.

	Once long ago I received a package of bearded iris rhizomes
from the East, and I suspect a borer was in that box but crawled out in
the heat of the UPS truck.  The rhizome was hollowed out, but there was
enough food left for a side shoot to develop and eventually bloom.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8