BORERS AND WATER

Hi Everyone--

Can anyone tell me what happens to borers that get down to the rzs of
iris that are planted in standing water?  Do they drown or do they find
it part of their natural habitat?  I have pseuds and versicolor in the
pond and they are just fine (have been for years) and since both of
these are naturals for borers I wonder if it attacks them only when they
are planted in damp soil rather than actually in the water.
I don't know whether to spray or not to spray.  I dug a small clump of
pseuds last summer that turned out to have borer but they were not in
the water.  they were from a clump given to me by someone in a warmer
zone (probably 5-6).  My TBs dont seem to have them either.
this is my first year for jis and las.  should I spray them or wait to
see if I have borers?  I hate to spray if it is not necessary.

Rima  terra@catskill.net
upstate ny  zone 4