Re: SPECX: 854 Ellis Now Mississippi Delta

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPECX: 854 Ellis Now Mississippi Delta
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 11:49:05 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, william b. cook wrote:

> >  Kevin Vaughn, in the steamy delta in Miss., when last I knew grew I
> > pseudacorus, a 'white' pseud, phil edinger, roy davison, f2 orange
> > ((((sorry Mark, it is f2,I miss typed previously)))) the three of which
> > are children/grandchildren of holden clough, which he also grows.
> > Perhaps there are more pseuds and pseud crosses that he grew, but all of
> > these that I remember did fairly well in a slightly sunken, slightly
> > shady portion of his back yard.
> > Andrew Wheeler.
> Andrew,
  The Mississippi Delta is hotter in the
> summer and has fewer winter freezes than this part of Florida.
> Mark A. Cook
> billc@atlantic.net
> Dunnellon, FL.

	Mark, there is some confusion here about the Mississippi Delta.
Actually, the Mississippi Delta is not the delta of the Mississippi.  It
might have been during the formative years of the earth but is not a delta
at all today.  Before the levees were built on the Mississippi River,
there was a vast swamp from just south of Memphis (protected by bluffs) to
Yazoo City, where the loess hills rise.  Its greatest width is about 75
miles.  Since it was so flood prone, this area was the last to be settled,
having become habitable only after the levees were built.  The ante-bellum
plantations were not in this area, though it became Cottonlandia after the
War.  In some areas, it reminds me of the plains of West Texas because the
Delta is so flat and often treeless.

	The term delta is incorrect as this area is not the mouth of the
Mississippi River. Latitude-wise, some of the Delta is on a line with
Birmingham and Atlanta; therefore, winter temperatures may drop below
zero, and is much, much colder than central Florida.  Yes, the Mississippi
Delta country can have temperatures in excess of 100o degrees in the
summertime, but because of the frigid winter temperatures, I would
hesitate to generalize that you would be able to grow some of the plants
from this area in your FL garden.  If TB's are sufficiently elevated, they
can thrive in the Delta.  We have a member of our local society in
Greenwood (Delta country) who grows TB's successfully.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8 (high on a loess hill fifteen miles from the