101 uses for Cygon.

Irisborer@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-01-31 15:55:28 EST, Andy writes:
>
> << It is iteresting that you mention the Iris weevil.  We have that as
>  well in Massachusetts and I was wondering if anyone knows about their
>  life cycle.  They are not so bad a pest as borers or orthachita (how
>  exactly id that spelled?) since they do not affect vegatative growth or
>  blooms, yet they are quite a pest for breeders, since they can evacuate
>  a chamber of a seed pod or even all three, without showing significant
>  damage.   >>
>
> How about a small flying insect that eats beardless iris pollen?  I have had
> this happen to me for two seasons and it is most distressing.  Sometimes they
> leave me enough to sneak out a cross or two - but other times, they strip the
> anthers.  Anyone have intelligence on what this is and how to get to the
> pollen first?  They appear to do no other damage - and Cygon notwithstanding,
> I do not wish to add more chemicals to my garden.
>
> Kathyguest... of the shiny JI anthers
KATHY,
If you mean the fly that lands and deposits a larvae which crawls into
the buds of sibs and species like versicolor and virginica and setosa,
and eats the reproductive parts, especially the anthers so that when the
flower opens, it is missing most of the middle, then that is the
orthacita fly. (Somebody please correct my spelling) We remedy the
problem with.......CYGON. we spray the buds of the flowers for the fly
and simultaneously the foliage for late borers and also thrips, that
pesky rustish stuff that retards the growth of the japs.
If any wants to look at an MSDS (MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET) for it,
There is one at: http://siri.org:80/msds/h/q418/q343.html

Andrew